Leesburg, VA (January 6, 2015) – Loudoun County officials remind everyone that the cold and snowy weather conditions we are experiencing can bring treacherous roadways, sidewalks and parking lots. There are precautions you can take to stay safe:
- Remember the phrase; “Get where you need to go before the weather gets bad.”
- If roads are icy, do not travel unless absolutely necessary.
- Use extreme caution when driving. You may not be able to stop as quickly as usual on the snow-covered or wet pavement.
- If sidewalks are icy, take short steps and bend slightly.
- If you fall, avoid using your arms to protect against breaks.
This is also a good time to take a few minutes to make sure you have everything you need to be ready for wintry weather.
- Get a kit. Imagine that you can’t leave your home for three days. You need basic emergency supplies.
- Make a plan. Everyone needs an emergency plan. It’s not hard to do. Find out how at www.loudoun.gov/readynova.
- Stay informed. Sign up for alerts from the county including emergency information, news releases, traffic information, and more through Alert Loudoun at www.loudoun.gov/alert; follow Loudoun County on Twitter at www.loudoun.gov/twitter; and on Facebook atwww.loudoun.gov/facebook.
For more information on winter preparedness, including links to safe driving tips, home heating safety information, and the VDOT Snow Plow Tracker, go to www.loudoun.gov/winter.