Aldie, Va. (March 13, 2015) – The early morning house fire yesterday, March 12, on James Monroe Highway in Aldie once again demonstrates the importance of having functional smoke alarms in your home.
When fire and rescue crews arrived at the single family home, significant fire and smoke were visible. Because smoke alarms had alerted the two adult residents to the fire, they had evacuated themselves and their two dogs from the house. This allowed firefighters to perform an aggressive interior attack with the assurance that the occupants were safely outside. During the fire attack, firefighters were also able to locate and rescue a cat from the basement of the home.
The Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office has determined the fire to be accidental due to improperly discarded smoking materials. Damages are estimated $300,000.
One adult female was treated for possible smoke inhalation and transported to a local hospital for evaluation. No firefighter injuries have been reported at this time.
There are two critical safety messages stemming from this incident; the importance of having working smoke alarms in your home and the need to properly discard any smoking or flammable materials.
Smoke alarms provide crucial time necessary to get your family safely outside in case of a fire. It is critical to have smoke alarms on every level of your home and in every bedroom. Loudoun County’s “Put A Finger On It” smoke alarm program offers free home inspections and smoke alarms to county residents. To schedule an inspection or get more information about the program visit www.loudoun.gov/smokealarms or call the smoke alarm hotline at 703-737-8093.
Smoking is the number one cause of home fire deaths in the United States. Fires caused by cigarettes and other smoking materials are preventable and you can make a difference. When you smoke outside, make sure you put your cigarettes in proper containers such as metal or ceramic pots filled with sand, not potting soil. Place these containers away from the house, not on the front porch, deck or just outside your door and clean these containers of discarded butts on a frequent basis.
For additional fire safety and smoke alarm information, please contact Lisa Braun, Public Education Manager at email@example.com or 571-258-3222.