By Austen Bundy
Viva Loudoun High School Intern
(March 27, 2014) – Alright, now this is when it gets good. This is when the contenders are separated from the pretenders. March Madness hits its prime as the Sweet 16 tips-off Thursday night.
The upsets keep coming and have set up some pretty awesome match-ups for Thursday and Friday. The Dayton Flyers knocked off Syracuse and set themselves up for a date for the other upsetting team; the Stanford Cardinals who took out Kansas in a thriller of a game. The Huskies from UConn upset the No. 2 seed Villanova in another thriller. Some other headlines from last weekend: The Cyclones from Iowa State hold on to beat North Carolina at the last second, Tennessee ends Mercer’s Cinderella story and Baylor demolishes Doug McDermott’s Creighton Blue Jays, leaving him at fifth on the all-time top scorer list.
The first game of the Sweet 16 tips off Thursday night at 7:15, so let’s take a look at the match-ups:
- Dayton vs. Stanford: Both looked poised to take a stab at the Final Four, but Dayton has gone in treating every game like any other, so the Flyers move on over the Cardinals.
- Baylor vs. Wisconsin: The Bears from Baylor looked absolutely unstoppable against Creighton, but the Badgers from Wisconsin know how to get it done. Badgers win.
- UCLA vs. Florida: UCLA wiped the floor with Stephen F. Austin, but the Gators will be eating Bruins for dinner tonight.
- San Diego State vs. Arizona: The Aztecs made it this far but the buck stops here against the Wildcats from ‘Zona.
- Tennessee vs. Michigan: Will the Cinderella story continue? I’m afraid the Volunteers’ run ends with a loss to the Wolverines of Michigan.
- UConn vs. Iowa State: The Cyclones barely escaped UNC and the Huskies are looking vicious right now. One more daring escape for Iowa State may be coming.
- Kentucky vs. Louisville: The battle for Kentucky ends with a veteran squad of Cardinals victorious over the freshmen Wildcats.
- Michigan State vs. Virginia: The Big Ten champs and one of the top scoring teams in the country vs. the ACC champs and No. 1 defense in the country. This one is easy, right? Sparty will obviously…come up short on UVA.
So far I’ve been 65% correct with the games played so far. Three of my Final Four teams are still in but from here I’m going with Florida, UVA, Wisconsin and Louisville.
*Stay tuned for more picks and coverage as the tournament continues!