The Marshall House and the cadets share the principles espoused by Gen. George C. Marshall, who served as Army Chief of Staff during World War II, oversaw implementation of the European Recovery Program (“Marshall Plan”) as Secretary Of State (1947-49) and returned to final public service as Secretary of Defense (1950-51).
Founded in 2009, with the help of then Sen. John Warner, a former Secretary of the Navy, the Loudoun County NJROTC program draws cadets from all Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) high schools. Capped at 200 students, the cadets performed 8,000 service hours in the past year, including about 400 hours at The Marshall House. They worked at the Easter Egg Hunt, served as color guard for the Veterans Day commemoration and performed manual labor in the house, garden and nearly four-acre property throughout the year.
On September 6th, the cadets focused on garden and yard maintenance under the supervision of Marshall House gardener Jackie Ellis and Loudoun County master gardener and landscape architect Leslie Solitario. They used mulch donated by Arbor Artist, Inc. around trees and on garden pathways, cleaned outdoor furniture, entry gates and signs, and removed dead trees and branches from the property. With the help of local Veterans of Foreign Wars members, the cadets cleaned out the garage for storing the 1948 Jeep, to decrease its wear and tear in the weather.
The George C. Marshall International Center was founded to preserve The Marshall House, formerly Dodona Manor, the beloved home of George and Katherine Marshall, and to further the legacy of George Catlett Marshall who is considered by many to be one of the greatest modern-day American heroes. The Marshalls purchased the home in 1941 and Marshall lived there until his death in 1959.