Loudoun County, Va. (August 21, 2014) – Loudoun County seeks candidates to assist in fulfilling the mission and purposes of the Rural Economic Development Council. There are 14 openings on the 31-member council; the two-year terms begin January 1, 2015. If you are looking for a way to serve your community, and you have a passion for supporting Loudoun’s thriving rural economy, please apply. Resumes and letters of interest are due by close of business September 15, 2014.
The mission of the REDC is to promote the sustainable economic growth and vitality of Loudoun County’s agricultural, horticultural, equine and other rural industries. The purposes of the REDC are as follows:
- Recommend to the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors a Rural Economic Development Strategy to carry out the recommendations contained in the Revised General Plan;
- Furnish information and provide recommendations to the board relative to programs and policies affecting the economic growth and development of rural Loudoun County;
- Review significant projects, policies and programs that effect rural economic development as determined by the board;
- Provide a forum through which agricultural industry and rural business sector leaders meet to exchange ideas and experiences relative to rural economic development practices and policies;
- Provide support and advice to the Department of Economic Development relative to rural economic development, marketing and promotional activities by public and private groups engaged in such activities throughout the county;
- Monitor and evaluate year-over-year change in the rural economy as prepared by the Department of Economic Development.
Interested candidates may apply to serve in the following member categories: agribusiness, at-large, banking and finance, direct marketing, education, environmental resources, historic tourism property, outdoor recreation, professional services, rural-based business, and wine industry.
Applicants must submit a letter of interest and a resume to the Office of the Board of Supervisors and to the Department of Economic Development via postal mail or email. A standard application form is not used. Letters of interest and resumes are due by close of business September 15, 2014 to:
Loudoun County Board of Supervisors and Department of Economic Development
1 Harrison Street, S.E., Fifth Floor
P.O. Box 7000
Leesburg, VA 20177-7000
A nominating committee, appointed by the chairman of the REDC, will conduct application interviews as appropriate and will propose a slate of nominees to the REDC. The REDC will deliver a final slate of nominees to the Board of Supervisors for appointment.
Questions regarding the mission, role, or objectives of a board, commission or committee should be directed to the board. To learn more about the REDC, visit www.biz.loudoun.gov.