Loudoun County, Va. (February 17, 2015) – Due to rapidly deteriorating weather conditions, Loudoun Water Field Services staff suspended work last night at 8:00 p.m. Work orders on frozen meters were resumed at 7:00 a.m. this morning.
If you have already placed a call, please be confident that we have your work order. Duplicate calls will slow the process. Thank you for your patience. Please take the following precautions to prevent frozen meters and pipes.
Frozen Meter/Pipes Prevention
During cold weather:
- During cold weather to prevent your pipes from freezing, allow an indoor faucet to drip cold water slowly. The faucet you choose should be the one that is the greatest distance from your main water shut off valve.
- Open kitchen and cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing. Always remove any toxic substances first if there are small children in the home.
Preventative steps prior to winter weather:
- Close the inside valves and drain the pipes leading to your outside hose bib (faucet).
- Know where your main shut off valve is and label it. Minimize the potential for water damage by ensuring that everyone in the household knows how to shut off the water in case of an emergency.
- Insulate pipes in unheated areas. Hardware and plumbing supply stores carry insulation to keep pipes from freezing.