Leesburg, Va. (September 17, 2014) – Loudoun County High School’s volleyball team hosted a Childhood Cancer Awareness night on Wednesday, September 17, against Heritage High School.
The new tradition was started in the 2013 season by now senior Addi Williams, to honor Mathias Giordano, who at age 11 was diagnosed with osteosarcoma cancer, which is bone cancer. He is now 13 years old and still fighting. This year, by Giordano’s request, the Raiders added three more children to their list of honorees. Hope Veazey, 7, Catherine Johnson, 12, and Kyle Hahne, 10. There was also a dedication to Gavin Rupp, Declan Carmichael, and Gabriella Miller, who are no longer with us, but their families were in attendance in their honor.
Leading up to the event, Williams sold 335 “gold out” t-shirts, the color for children’s cancer, to friends and family of the kids as well as to students at Loudoun County. Over $2,500 was raised to be donated to Kyle’s Kamp, an organization started by Kyle Hahne’s family. Of the money raised, 20 percent is sent to children with cancer and the other 80 percent is donated for further research into childhood cancer. Both the Heritage and Loudoun County volleyball players wore these shirts as warm-ups, signifying that we are all united in this fight.
In addition to the t-shirts, half of the ticket sales from the game will be donated to Kyle’s Kamp. After an introduction of all the children, as opposed to the typical line-up call outs, the game got kicked off with a large and loud Raider Riot in attendance.
“I was inspired to put on this event by Mathias’ extraordinary bravery, fight, and compassion. Even through all of his treatments he has remained positive, he is truly an inspiration to us all,” said Williams. “This year we decided to include more families and try to spread awareness and love even farther than just our school, which I feel we accomplished. The children and their families are deserving of so much and doing this was such a great was to show them that this whole community supports them.”
Written by Viva Loudoun intern Madison Batts.