Ashburn, VA (January 18, 2017) –Jeff Morse, the Dulles District School Board member, was elected chairman of the Loudoun County School Board on Monday, January 9th, during the board’s organizational meeting.
Morse was nominated for the chairmanship by former School Board Chairman Eric Hornberger (Ashburn District). Morse was elected on an 8-0-1 vote with Joy Maloney (Broad Run District) absent.
This is Morse’s second term on the School Board. Hornberger had served as chairman since January 2012.
Brenda Sheridan (Sterling District) was unanimously re-elected vice chairman. She was nominated for this position by Beth Huck (At-Large). Sheridan is the longest-serving current member of the School Board. She was unanimously selected by the School Board on June 14, 2011, to fill the seat left vacant by the death of J. Warren Geurin.
In other business, the School Board:
- Set the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month as its regular meeting dates. There will be no School Board meetings in July and no fourth Tuesday School Board meeting in August and December. The first meeting in April will be moved to April 18th because of Spring Break.
- Second Tuesday meetings will begin at 4 p.m. with a dinner break and a resumption of the meeting at 6:30. Fourth Tuesday meetings will begin at 6:30 p.m.
- The annual organizational meeting for 2018 will be held on January 8th.
- The School Board re-appointed Christine Coleman as clerk of the board. Shari Byrne was named deputy clerk.
- Assistant Superintendent for Business and Financial Services Leigh Burden, Assistant Superintendent for Instruction Cynthia Ambrose, Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources and Talent Development Dr. Kimberly Hough and Assistant Superintendent for Support Services Kevin Lewis were appointed as designees of the superintendent.
- Sheridan was re-appointed as delegate to the Virginia School Boards Association (VSBA) with Huck as the alternate.
- Twenty members of the Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) were memorialized and ratified for a term beginning July 1, 2016, and ending June 30, 2018.