(Oct. 14, 2013) – At approximately 6:20pm, Sunday October 13, the Loudoun County Emergency Communications Center received a 9-1-1 call for a house fire in the 43300 block of Wayside Circle in Ashburn. Units from Ashburn, Moorefield, Lansdowne, Leesburg and the Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s office responded and found a single family home with a small fire on the first floor. The fire was quickly extinguished and contained to the area of origin.
Air Care 3 flew one adult male to Washington Hospital Center for injuries sustained while trying to start a fire in a fireplace. In addition, one firefighter was taken to Lansdowne Hospital for treatment from an injury sustained on this incident.
According to reports posted on Facebook by family members from the home that caught fire, lighter fluid on the deck exploded during the fire as well as a propane tank from a camping grill.
The Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office has determined the fire to be accidental in nature, resulting in approximately $30,000 in damage.