Loudoun County, Va. (April 1, 2015) – With the tax deadline of April 15 approaching, Loudoun County and the AARP remind residents with low and moderate incomes that there is still time to receive free help in preparing 2014 federal and state tax returns.
Free income tax preparation services are available until April 15. Trained volunteers are ready to help file and process both federal and state returns. When filing a joint return, both spouses must be present. Taxpayers must bring a photo ID, Social Security card for all family members and/or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs), along with any documents such as W-2s, 1099s, health insurance information, and last year’s income tax return, if available.
The following Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site in Loudoun County is providing free income tax assistance:
- Loudoun County Family Services, Workforce Resource Center: Tuesday and Thursday evening from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon through April 15, 2015. The Workforce Resource Center is located in the Shenandoah Building at 102 Heritage Way, N.E., on the first floor (enter at the back of the building) in Leesburg. Wages are limited to $54,000 and under. Appointments are not needed, but limited to the first 30 taxpayers daily.
In addition, AARP offers free tax preparation at the following locations:
- Rust Library: Monday and Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. through April 13, 2015. The library is located at 380 Old Waterford Road in Leesburg. The service is available to all wage earners or retirees. No appointments needed.
- Cascades Library: Tuesday and Thursday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and Monday and Wednesday from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., through April 15, 2015. Service is available to all wage earners or retirees. Cascades Library is located at 21030 Whitfield Place in Potomac Falls. No appointments needed.
- Falcons Landing: Monday, Thursday and Saturday from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. through April 13, 2015. Service is available to all wage earners or retirees. Appointments are needed. To schedule an appointment, call 703-404-5216. Falcons Landing is located at the corner of Algonkian Parkway & Potomac View Road, Sterling.
- Carver Center: Wednesdays from 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. through April 15, 2015. Appointments are needed. To schedule an appointment call 571-258-3400. The Carver Center is located at 200 Willie Palmer Way in Purcellville.
Trained volunteers are available to determine if a family is eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit or other tax credits that could reduce the amount of tax owed and may result in a tax refund.
Loudoun County is part of the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program in cooperation with the AARP Tax-Aide and the Northern Virginia CASH (Creating Assets, Savings and Hope) campaign.
Additional sites in Northern Virginia are listed at www.nvacash.org or at www.irs.gov . For more information about the VITA program in Loudoun, contact Karen Velez, Loudoun County Department of Family Services, at 703-771-5718 or by email .