Purcellville, Va. (February 5, 2015) – At approximately 12:30 p.m. on Sunday, February 1, Fire and Rescue units from Purcellville, Hamilton, Round Hill, Lovettsville and Leesburg responded to 37824 Perkins Court for a reported house fire.
Emergency crews arrived on the scene to find active fire in the attached garage of a single family home. Firefighters immediately searched the home to ensure there were no additional occupants, then extinguished the fire.
The homeowner was treated and transported to a local hospital for possible smoke inhalation and is in stable condition. There were no injuries to fire department personnel as a result of this incident.
The Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s investigation determined the fire to be accidental in nature, due to improperly discarded fireplace ashes. Damages to the home are estimated at $80,000.
The Loudoun County Department of Fire, Rescue and Emergency Management reminds residents to use caution when disposing of fireplace ashes or any flammable materials in or around your home. Fireplace ashes, cigarette butts, and grill or fire pit remnants are among the many flammable items that can result in fire unless disposed of properly. Soak ashes and burned materials thoroughly in water for several days before placing them into a closed metal container. The metal container should be kept outside, a safe distance away from your home or any other structures. By taking these additional measures, you can help ensure these items are fully extinguished and do not pose a fire hazard to you or your neighbors.
For more questions and fire safety tips, visit www.loudoun.gov/firesafety or call Lisa Braun, Public Education Manager at 571-258-3222.