Loudoun County, VA (March 5, 2015) – April 1 is submission deadline day! And it’ll be here before you know it. We hope that your filmmaking endeavors are moving right along as planned. A total of 63 schools have projected submitting 215 films, and we can’t wait to see what you’ve been working on. Here are a few submission reminders for you:
- Eligibility – All members of film crews including but not limited to writer, director, lead cast, cinematographer, editor, musicians, sound and lighting must meet eligibility requirements. Adults may appear in films, but not in leading roles. Therefore, only lead talent must meet eligibility requirements. Other adult involvement is limited to advisers serving in a teaching capacity only. Confirm eligibility using the Master Eligibility List (http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/adm-mel-form4.xls) and e-mail to email@example.com.
- Original Work – Films must be the original work of the entrants. Films may not bebased, in whole or in part, on any other fiction or non-fiction material, published or unpublished, produced or unproduced that is not already in public domain. Any music used must be the original work of the entrants. Neither a soundtrack nor music is required. Use of public domain or royalty free music is permitted.
- Entry – Each school may enter one film in each category: narrative, documentary, animation, experimental and commercial/PSA, for a total of 5 films. Each submission must be accompanied by $10 payment.
- Format – All films must be submitted on DVD and each film must be accompanied by an entry form (http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/film-entry-form3.docx). Each film entered must also be uploaded to www.filmfreeway.com/festival/VHSLfilmfestival, a private site used to facilitate the Preview process for making Official Selections.
- Narratives must be no shorter than five minutes and no longer than eight minutes in length.
- Documentaries must be no shorter than five minutes and no longer than eight minutes in length.
- Animated films must be no shorter than five minutes and no longer than eight minutes in length.
- Experimental films must be no shorter than three minutes and no longer than eight minutes in length.
- Commercials must be thirty or sixty seconds exactly in length. PSAs may be up to 60 seconds in length.
- Submission Deadline – All submissions must be received by April 1. This includes mailed DVDs with entry forms (mailed), and uploaded films with payments towww.filmfreeway.com. Please do not be disqualified by missing this deadline or not including all parts (DVD, entry form, upload, payment).
- Official Selection Announcement – Official Selection announcements will be made between May 1-15.
- First Refusal – Once films are announced as Official Selections to the VHSL Film Festival, films may not be publicly screened or viewable online until after screening at the VHSL Film Festival (no earlier than May 31, 2015).
- Awards – For each category, a Best Picture and Audience Choice award will be given. Schools of Best Films are considered state champions. It is possible for a single school to win Best Film in multiple categories. All audience members present during screening, including contestants and Festival staff, may vote one time and for one film per category. It is possible for a single school to win Audience Choice in multiple categories.
For a complete list of rules, including evaluative criteria and judging process, please see the VHSL Film Festival Manual at http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/film-manual-20141.doc.