Ashburn, VA (January 26, 2017) – The Tax-Aide Program, which provides free tax services to families in need, begins January 31, 2017, in Loudoun. The program, sponsored by the AARP Foundation in cooperation with the Loudoun County government, targets low-to-moderate-income families and seniors, and provides one-on-one assistance to customers on a walk-in basis at five sites in Loudoun.
For those in need of help, this program provides an opportunity to save an average of $200 in tax preparation fees. Additionally, IRS-certified volunteers will make sure that families receive the maximum tax refund to which they are entitled and will help determine if they are eligible for the earned income tax credit (EITC) or other tax credit programs.
All returns are filed electronically. If married and filing a joint return, both spouses must be present. Taxpayers must bring the following items:
- Photo ID for the taxpayer (and spouse if filing jointly)
- Social Security cards or ITIN letters and birth dates for the taxpayer, spouse and all dependents
- Wage and earnings statements: W-2, W-2G, and all Form 1099s received for 2016
- Unemployment compensation, Form 1099G for 2016
- Interest and dividend statements
- Child care expenses paid in 2016 and the child care provider’s name, address and federal ID number
- Record of tuition, purchase of books and/or student loan payments, Form 1098E & 1098T
- A copy of last year’s 2015 federal and state tax returns (if available)
- A check or deposit slip for direct deposit, if desired
- Paperwork relating to energy-efficient home improvements, new car purchases and new home purchases (closing agreement)
- Record of any real estate taxes, mortgage interest payments, medical expenses and charitable donations made in 2016
- Affordable Health Care Act Forms 1095A, 1095B or 1095C. If you purchased health insurance through the Healthcare Marketplace, you must have form 1095A to file your taxes.
The following sites in Loudoun County will provide free income tax assistance to all wage earners or retirees. The tax deadline this year is April 18, 2017. Dates and times of operation for each site are listed.
- HealthWorks for Northern Virginia: Tuesday and Thursday from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 12 noon beginning January 31, 2017, through April 15, 2017. No appointments needed. For more information call 703-829-0394. (Note: This is the tax assistance site that was formerly located in the Workforce Resource Center in the Shenandoah Building.) HealthWorks for Northern Virginia is located at 163 Fort Evans Road in Leesburg.
- Carver Center: Wednesday and Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. beginning February 8, 2017, through April 14, 2017. Appointments are needed. To schedule an appointment call 571-258-3400. The Carver Center is located at 200 Willie Palmer Way in Purcellville.
- Cascades Library: Tuesday and Thursday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and Monday and Wednesday from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. beginning February 1, 2017, through April 18, 2017. No appointments needed. Cascades Library is located at 21030 Whitfield Place in Sterling.
- Falcons Landing: Monday, Thursday and Saturday from 12:45 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. beginning February 2, 2017, through April 17, 2017. Appointments are needed. To schedule an appointment call 703-404-5216. Falcons Landing is located at the corner of Algonkian Parkway and Potomac View Road in Sterling.
- Rust Library: Monday and Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. beginning February 3, 2017, through April 14, 2017. No appointments needed. The library is located at 380 Old Waterford Road in Leesburg.