College Corner by Dan Sousa
(Sept. 17, 2013) – Stone Bridge High School grad Ashley Herndon was honored as the Colonial Athletic Association’s Rookie of the Week as announced by the league Monday.
The James Madison University freshman forward helped guide the Dukes to a 2-0 record over the weekend, coming up big in the team’s 3-2 win at Charlotte on Friday night. Herndon assisted on Lauren Wilson’s goal that gave the Dukes a 1-0 lead. Then, with the game tied at 2-2 in the 60th minute, she tallied the game-winning goal from 10 yards out.
Herndon leads JMU with three goals and seven points this season.
College Corner Quick Takes
- Christopher Newport freshman defender Sam Rabinek (Broad Run High School) was selected as the CAC Women’s Soccer Defensive Player of the Week for Sept. 16, 2013. Rabinek is the CAC Defensive Player of the Week after leading a defensive unit to a pair of shutout victories. CNU topped rival Va. Wesleyan on the road by a 2-0 count for the first time since 2002, then stopped Roanoke for the first time since 2008. Rabinek contributed the insurance goal of a 2-0 win at Roanoke with a header off a corner kick.
- The Coastal Carolina women’s soccer team was tabbed fifth in the Big South preseason poll, announced in August and based on voting by the conference’s head coaches. Coastal is coming off a 2012 campaign in which they posted a 10-9 overall record and went 7-4 in Big South play to finish fifth in a competitive league race. The Chanticleers return 20 members of that squad, including first team All-Big South selection Kacey Kelley (Broad Run High School).
- Stanford sophomore Alex Carter (Briar Woods High School) is one of 10 players on the football team who are the offspring of NFL players. Carter’s father, Tom, played cornerback for the Redskins, Bears and Bengals over nine year. Carter starts at corner for the national championship contender. Read more on the other NFL offspring.
- In Elon’s 5-0 women’s soccer win over rival High Point, Jennifer McGorty had two early goals with the second coming off a great cross from Olivia Mackey (Loudoun County High School).
- Robert Morris men’s lacrosse announced that among its 19 new players to campus this fall is attack Eric Madigan (Broad Run High School), a 5th-year transfer from Sacred Heart. As a Pioneer, he tallied 15 points (8 goals, 7 assists) in three years of competition.
- Senior middle blocker Elisa Scudder (Broad Run High School) is one of two captains for the 2013 season for Dartmouth.
- In Virginia Tech women’s soccer 1-1 draw with Louisville at the Wake Forest Invitational it was freshman Murielle Tiernan (Stone Bridge High School) collecting a pass from junior Ellie Zoepfl (Broad Run High School) and firing a shot from the top of the box that beat the keeper.
- It appears that third-year sophomore Calvin Hollenhorst (Stone Bridge High School) has won the starting left defensive end job for Coastal Carolina football.